Anulom Vilom Pranayam And Its Benefits
Anulom vilom pranayama, also known as “alternate nostril breathing technique” - inhaling through the left nostril and holding the breath in, then exhaling through the right nostril. The sequence is then reversed - inhaling through the right nostril and holding the breath in and exhaling through the left nostril. The name Anulom Vilom also means “with the grain and against the grain.” This is referred to one nostril usually being more open than the other. Breathing through the more open nostril is called breathing “with the grain” and breathing through the less open nostril is called breathing “against the grain.”
It works perfectly to relieve stress and anxiety. People who practice it regularly have also treated some serious health conditions which include heart problems, cartilage, depression, asthma, high blood pressure, and arthritis. Some of the practitioners have also treated problems like bent ligaments, neural issues, migraine pain, and sinus just by practicing anulom vilom pranayama regularly.
The traditional practice is mainly exercised with the aim of relaxing and strengthening the mind and it also prepares the whole body for meditation. With the increased awareness and convenience of the practice, more and more people have been engaging themselves in this yoga exercise.
Steps to do Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama is very easy to do, first of all, sit in Padmasana, close your eyes and rest your hands on your knees
- Close the right nostril with the right thumb. Breathe in slowly through the left nostril, inhale the oxygen as much as you can. This will fill your lungs with air
- Remove your thumb from your right nostril and as you remove your thumb from the right nostril, exhale.
- When you exhale use your middle finger to close your left nostril and inhale with your right nostril. Then remove the thumb from the right nostril and exhale. Continue the process for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Don’t lose your focus and make sure that your back is straight and shoulders relaxed while you perform the pranayama.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom
- Helps to cure mental problems like depression, anxiety, stress, and tension.
- Helps overcome breathing related problems like bronchitis, asthma, etc.
- Makes the brain sharper, one of the best techniques for boosting your memory.
- Makes you immune to general diseases like a cold & cough.
- Improves blood circulation in the entire body
- It is very convenient to practice.
- It makes your lungs stronger.
- It is an ideal breathing technique for keeping your heart healthy.
Therefore, regular practice of this pranayama purifies the different channels of the body, making it healthy, strong and lustrous.